SPA Bhopal’s 48 Hours‘ brief involved a challenge to design a comfortable pathway between the hostels and the academic block.
Since the same was to be executed on site, the judgement criteria was as follows:
- Economics of Construction
- Structural Maturity of Design
- Material, and Social Sensibility
- Climatic and social responsiveness
- Speed and Ease of Execution
Taking inspiration from Bhopal’s iconic Upper Lake, and deriving its fluid, yet functional form from it, the self repeating module is a cover from the harsh sun, and the convex, hyperbolic paraboloid structure cuts through the strong monsoon winds.
The Wave – is composed out of only Bamboo, and thatch, reducing costs to the optimum extent, without compromising on durability, and strength.